08 Aug Family Devotion – Solomon’s Sin Divided the Kingdom
Bible Reading for this Week
Directions: Read the Bible story as a family this week. If the story is too long, use a children’s bible or summarize the story in your own words.
Bible Story Main Points
- Solomon had wives who turned his heart away from God.
- God was angry because of Solomon’s sin.
- Solomon’s son promised the people hard work, not rest.
- God divided the Israel into two kingdoms.
Family Devotion Outline
- Gather everyone for worship.
- Make it fun:
- Use a knife or saw to cut some things in half. Show your kids the inside of the objects. Explain how Jesus unites us with God and each other.
- Find 12 marbles, rocks, or other small objects. Discuss how King Solomon ruled over 12 tribes. However, when he sinned he lost 10 of the tribes and his son only controlled 2 tribes (Judah and Benjamin).
- Read the story. (Use a story bible for preschoolers and younger kids)
- Ask the discussion questions:
- What happens if we trust God just half the time?
- What changed about God’s love for Solomon when he stopped obeying God?
- David and Solomon both made big mistakes; can you think of a King who never sinned?
- Discuss the Christ Connection.
- Sing a worship song.
- Close in prayer.
Directions: Use the Christ Connection to point your children to the gospel each week.
King Solomon failed to lead God’s people perfectly. God’s people needed a better king, a perfect king! Through David’s family, God would send His own Son, Jesus Christ, to be a perfect King over God’s people forever. Jesus brings His people together and leads them back to God.