15 Aug Family Devotion – Solomon Thought About Life
Bible Reading for this Week
Directions: Read the Bible story as a family this week. If the story is too long, use a children’s bible or summarize the story in your own words.
Bible Story Main Points
- Sometimes life is confusing and hard.
- Solomon was a wise king who thought a lot about life.
- Solomon recorded his thoughts in a book called Ecclesiastes.
- Life has purpose only with God.
Family Devotion Outline
- Gather everyone for worship.
- Make it fun:
- Do an art or woodworking project with your family. Talk to your kids about the different tools you use for different tasks. Explain to them that our purpose is to glorify God.
- Grab several kitchen utensils/tools that may be unfamiliar to your kids. Ask them what they think it is used for. Then explain the purpose of each tool to your child. Discuss how many people don’t understand what the purpose of life is. But God’s Word tells us that our purpose is to glorify and worship God.
- Grab a random object. Take turns acting out silly uses for the object. Talk to your kids about how many people try to come up with their own purpose for living. Fortunately God tell us what our purpose is in the Bible.
- Read the story. (Use a story bible for preschoolers and younger kids)
- Ask the discussion questions:
- What are some things about life that you struggle to understand?
- How does it make you feel to know god is in control, even when life is confusing?
- What does God say is the purpose of our lives?
- Discuss the Christ Connection.
- Sing a worship song.
- Close in prayer.
Directions: Use the Christ Connection to point your children to the gospel each week.
Apart from God, life does not make sense. God created everything, and He gives everything a purpose. Jesus gives us purpose for living. Jesus came so that we might live for Him and have a full, meaningful life.