27 Jul Family Devotion – Solomon Asked for Wisdom
Bible Reading for this Week
Directions: Read the Bible story as a family this week. If the story is too long, use a children’s bible or summarize the story in your own words.
Bible Story Main Points
- Solomon became king after his father, David, died.
- God told Solomon to ask for anything he wanted.
- Solomon decided to ask for wisdom instead of power, money, or long life.
- God gave Solomon wisdom to lead His people.
Family Devotion Outline
- Gather everyone for worship.
- Make it fun:
- Ask your child to draw a picture of something he/she would ask for if they were given one wish.
- With your kids, make up hand motions for your favorite proverbs from Scripture.
- Cotton ball toss. Have your child throw you the cotton ball. If the ball doesn’t reach you, have your child step closer to you until you meet together or are really close. Discuss how the closer we are to God, the more wisdom we have.
- Read the story. (Use a story bible for preschoolers and younger kids)
- Ask the discussion questions:
- What do you think would have happened if Solomon had not asked for wisdom?
- Why do you think Solomon did not ask for the other things God gave him?
- What do you think would happen if we asked for wisdom too?
- Discuss the Christ Connection.
- Sing a worship song.
- Close in prayer.
Directions: Use the Christ Connection to point your children to the gospel each week.
Solomon was a wise king who wanted to do God’s plan. God planned to give His people a greater and wiser king- His Son, Jesus. Jesus completely trusted God with His life. Jesus surrendered His own life to die on the cross for our sin.