29 Aug Family Devotion – Praises of God’s People
BIBLE READING FOR THIS WEEK
Directions: Read the Bible story as a family this week. If the story is too long, use a children’s bible or summarize the story in your own words.
BIBLE STORY MAIN POINTS
- Psalms are basically special songs to God.
- People wrote songs about how God views sin.
- People wrote songs to tell God how great He is.
- People wrote songs to remember what God had done for them.
FAMILY DEVOTION OUTLINE
- Gather everyone for worship.
- Make it fun:
- Take some time to make up a song about God. It can be completely original, or using a well-known melody. Sing it with your family.
- Give your children 5 minutes to find household objects that can also be used to make music. Have them demonstrate how each object can make music.
- Have a contest to see who can make the most creative homemade musical instrument. Search online for ideas.
- Read the story. (Use a story bible for preschoolers and younger kids)
- Ask the discussion questions:
- What kind of music do you like most? Happy songs? Fast songs? Loud songs?
- Have you ever sung a song to God to help you express yourself to Him?
- Why do you think God likes to hear our praises?
- Discuss the Christ Connection.
- Sing a worship song.
- Close in prayer.
Directions: Use the Christ Connection to point your children to the gospel each week.
In the Old Testament, whenever God’s people cried out for mercy and forgiveness, praised God, or thanked Him, God heard their prayers. He promised to answer them, and He did, when He sent His Son, Jesus. Jesus meets our greatest need by providing salvation from sin so we can be forgiven and have eternal life.