10 Oct Family Devotion – Hezekiah, Judah’s Faithful King
GATHER EVERYONE FOR WORSHIP AND PRAY
Get everyone’s attention by playing a song. Gather around the dinner table, on the couch, or another comfortable location that works for your family. Open in prayer and ask God to bless this time.
MAKE IT FUN.
Kids will look forward to family devotions if we can make it a fun and engaging time for everyone. Try out one of these activities this week.
1. Take time as a family to write letters of encouragement to each other and the leaders of your church. Talk to your kids about the most encouraging news, the gospel of Jesus.
2. Teach your kids how to play War (card game). Click here for instructions. Discuss how war is very scary in real life. King Hezekiah was afraid of the Assyrian King, but He knew that God could help him, so he prayed.
3. Play unfair tag. Choose one child to be it. Everyone else must try to tag the child who is it. See how long the child can remain untagged. This game will be very difficult, especially if the child is outnumbered by a lot. Explain that Hezekiah felt outnumbered in today’s story. The king of Assyria had a much bigger and stronger army. Ask the child to describe what he would do if he was Hezekiah.
READ THE STORY.
Read directly from the Bible, use a children’s Bible, or summarize the story in your own words. The Bible story this week is from 2 Kings 18-19. Here is the gist of the story:
1. The Assyrians came to capture Jerusalem.
2. Hezekiah tried to pay the Assyrians to go away.
3. They refused and sent a threatening letter to Hezekiah.
4. Hezekiah prayed for help, and God answered Hezekiah’s prayer.
ASK THE DISCUSSION QUESTIONS.
1. Why was it bad for Hezekiah to try and pay off the Assyrians?
2. What did the Assyrians trust in?
3. In whom should we trust?
DISCUSS THE CHRIST CONNECTION.
Hezekiah prayed that God would save His people from their enemies so that everyone would know that He is the one true God. God answered Hezekiah’s prayer. Jesus also prayed for His people to be saved. God answered Jesus’ prayer. Through His death and resurrection, Jesus brought glory to God by rescuing people from sin and death.
Singing is an important way to reinforce and memorize important biblical truths. Our worship pastor has provided links to songs your kids will actually hear in our worship service each week.
CLOSE IN PRAYER.
Take a moment to recap what you’ve learned and ask God to help you believe and obey the truths of the Bible. Pray for any other needs you are aware of as well.
*The majority of this content is provided on our take home page and teachers guides included with The Gospel Project curriculum.