09 May Family Devotion – Gideon
Bible Reading for this Week
Directions: Read the Bible story as a family this week. If the story is too long, use a children’s bible or summarize the story in your own words.
Highlights from the Story
- The Israelites were being ruled by the Midianites.
- God called Gideon to attack the Midianites.
- Gideon was afraid because he was the youngest son and from a small tribe.
- Gideon wanted a sign from God to assure him he would win.
Directions: Use the Christ Connection to point your children to the gospel each week.
The Israelites cried out to God because they knew they could not save themselves. Even Gideon was not enough to save them; God used Gideon to save His people, but God fought for them. The people needed someone who was mighty to save. Jesus Christ came to save us from sin because we cannot save ourselves. Only God, through Christ, can save us.
Family Devotion Outline
- Gather everyone for worship.
- Read the story. (Use a story bible for preschoolers and younger kids)
- Ask the review questions.
- Make it fun. (Choose one or more):
- Sponge water relay. Grab a bowl of water and a sponge. Have your child race to soak up the water with the sponge and fill up another bowl. Discuss how Gideon asked for a sign from God that involved a fleece and water.
- Put two chairs very far apart and ask your child to jump from one chair to the other without touching the ground. Make sure it’s impossible to do. Then discuss how your child needs help getting from one chair to the other. Then carry your child to the other chair. Talk about how there are many things that seem impossible to us, but we can call on God to do things for us that we can’t do alone. (This is also a great illustration of the gospel and how Jesus brings us to God, 1 Peter 3:18)
- Apply the story to real life. (Choose one or more)
- Talk about how God likes to use weak people to accomplish great things because this brings glory to God.
- Sometimes we feel sad about our weaknesses, but Paul said he will boast in his weaknesses because God’s power is made perfect through weakness. In other words, Paul’s weakness allowed God’s power to shine even brighter.
- Pray as a family about something you need God’s help to accomplish.
- Discuss the importance of having faith and trusting God to help you do the things you believe God wants you to do.
- Discuss the Christ Connection.
- Sing a worship song.
- Close in prayer.
- Who attacked Israel after they turned away from God? (Midian)
- What did God’s angel call Gideon? (a might warrior)
- Did Gideon’s fear stop God’s plan? (No, God used Gideon’s weakness for His glory.)
- How many men did God choose to fight the Midianites with Gideon? (300)
- How does God accomplish His plan? (God uses people for His glory and our good.)