12 Sep Family Devotion – Elijah Ran from Jezebel
Posted at 20:27h in Children's Ministry, Family Devotions, News, Events, and Announcements, Uncategorized 0 Comments
FAMILY DEVOTION OUTLINE
- Gather everyone for worship/pray.
- Make it fun:
- Make a “telephone” by poking a hole in the bottom of two plastic cups. Thread a length of string through both holes, tying knots in each end to secure it. Hold the string taut to share whispers across a room.
- Challenge your kids to an exercise contest. For example, wall sits, push ups, squats, etc. See who can do the most. Encourage your kids as they struggle. Ask them to encourage one another as well. Discuss how when things get hard, it is good to be encouraged. Tell them that Elijah felt like giving up, but God encouraged him.
- Play hide and seek several minutes. After the game, tell your kids that Elijah wanted to run away and hide because someone wanted to kill him. He was so discouraged. But Elijah couldn’t hide from God. God still loved Elijah and had a plan for him.
- Read the story. (Read from the Bible, use a children’s Bible, or summarize in your own words)
- 1 Kings 19
- Queen Jezebel wanted to kill Elijah for defeating Baal.
- Elijah ran and hid in a cave.
- God revealed Himself to Elijah in a whisper.
- God told Elijah who would be the next leaders of Israel.
- 1 Kings 19
- Ask the discussion questions:
- Why do you think God revealed Himself in a whisper, instead of the fire, wind, or earthquake?
- What are other ways God has revealed Himself to people?
- How can we know that God cares for us when we feel afraid or discouraged?
- Discuss the Christ Connection.
- As a prophet of God, Elijah faced enemies who wanted to hurt him. Elijah’s life points forward to Jesus, the greatest Prophet, who was hated and killed for sharing and teaching God’s Word.
- Sing a worship song.
- Close in prayer.