06 Sep Family Devotion – Elijah Confronted Evil Ahab
Posted at 18:43h in Children's Ministry, Family Devotions, News, Events, and Announcements 0 Comments
FAMILY DEVOTION OUTLINE
- Gather everyone for worship/pray.
- Make it fun:
- Build a fire in a fire pit. Discuss with your family how God lit Elijah’s altar. Remind them that God burned up even the stones.
- Act out the story with the following parts:
- Narrator – Reads the story
- False prophets
- Use Play-Doh to build an “idol”. Discuss with your children that idols are powerless because they are made by humans. But God is the creator of everything. Only He is the true God.
- Read the story. (Read from the Bible, use a children’s Bible, or summarize in your own words)
- 1 Kings 18
- Main Points
- Ahab was an evil king of Israel who worshiped a false god, Baal.
- Elijah challenged Baal’s prophets to a showdown.
- Baal could not light his prophets’ altar because Baal is not real.
- The one true God defeated the prophets of Baal by burning up Elijah’s altar.
- Ask the discussion questions:
- Why did the prophets of Baal hurt themselves and dance around?
- What do we have to do so that God will listen to us?
- What other enemies has God defeated for us?
- Discuss the Christ Connection.
- The people who worshipped the false god Baal danced and cried and cut their bodies to show that they loved Baal. But the one true God is not like the false gods. Instead, He showed His love for us by sending His Son, Jesus. Jesus bled and died to rescue us from sin when we trust in Him.
- Sing a worship song.
- Close in prayer.