05 Dec Family Devotion – Daniel and His Friends Obeyed God
GATHER EVERYONE FOR WORSHIP AND PRAY
Get everyone’s attention by playing a song. Gather around the dinner table, on the couch, or another comfortable location that works for your family. Open in prayer and ask God to bless this time.
MAKE IT FUN.
Find a recipe that only uses vegetables or other plant-based foods. Prepare it with your kids as a reminder of Daniel’s obedience.
READ THE STORY.
Read directly from the Bible, use a children’s Bible, or summarize the story in your own words. The Bible story this week is from Daniel 1. Here is the gist of the story:
1. Babylon forced the talented young men of Judah to serve the king.
2. The king wanted the men to eat foods against God’s law.
3. Daniel and his friends obeyed God by not eating the king’s food.
4. They were healthier than those who ate the king’s food.
ASK THE DISCUSSION QUESTIONS.
1. What do you think would have happened if Daniel and his friends had eaten the king’s food?
2. Why do you think Daniel and his friends were healthier than the other men?
DISCUSS THE CHRIST CONNECTION.
Daniel chose to obey God no matter what, and God blessed Daniel and his friends. In an even greater way, Jesus always obeyed God. He came to earth and followed God’s plan to save sinners. Jesus never sinned, but He died the death we deserve. Jesus rose from the dead, and those who trust in Him receive God’s forgiveness and blessing.
Singing is an important way to reinforce and memorize important biblical truths. Our worship pastor has provided links to songs your kids will actually hear in our worship service each week.
CLOSE IN PRAYER.
Take a moment to recap what you’ve learned and ask God to help you believe and obey the truths of the Bible. Pray for any other needs you are aware of as well.
*This content is provided on our take home page and teachers guides included with The Gospel Project curriculum.